Frequently Asked Questions

How much money is Labor Alliance Managed Trust Fund deducting from my paycheck?

The Trust Fund does not deduct payments from plan participants’ paychecks.  Please reference the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) or contact your employer.

When do I become eligible for benefits?

You will become eligible for benefits upon completion of any waiting periods required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the Trust Fund’s waiting period, subject to your employer making the required contribution to the Trust Fund on your behalf.

Can I enroll my domestic partner?

No, the Trust Fund is longer covering domestic partners, effective January 1, 2016. Please note that participants who enrolled a domestic partner prior to January 1, 2016 are grandfathered and allowed to continue coverage of their domestic partner in the Trust Fund.

What do I do if my dependent(s) have a different last name than my own?

To enroll a dependent with a different last name than your own, you will need to prove the dependent’s eligibility through submission of a copy of the appropriate documents (i.e., a marriage certificate if you are adding a spouse and a birth certificate if you are adding a child).

How do I enroll a disabled dependent(s) who are over the age of 26?

To enroll a disabled dependent over age 26, you will need to provide proof of disability. Please contact the Plan Administrative Office for further information.

What do I need to do to add my newborn on to my benefits?

Please call or email the Plan Administrative Office to request change forms for your selected health care providers. You must complete and return the forms, as well as enclose a copy of the newborn’s birth certificate to the Plan Administrative Office.

Why must I provide social security numbers to the Plan Administrative Office?

Under federal law, all social security numbers must be collected on the employee, spouse and children who are covered under a group health plan. The Mandatory Insurer Reporting Law requires group health plans to report all social security numbers to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Labor Alliance Managed Trust Fund must collect this information to document that it is properly coordinating coverage with CMS. For more information, please reference the CMS Mandatory Insurer Reporting for Group Health Plans at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coordination-of-Benefits-and-Recovery/Mandatory-Insurer-Reporting-For-Group-Health-Plans/Overview.

I have not received my dental ID card and I need to see a dentist... what should I do?

It is not necessary to have an ID card in order to receive dental services. You can provide the dentist with your group number and the name of your dental plan.

What is VSP?

VSP is the acronym for Vision Service Plan. VSP is contracted with the Trust Fund to administer the vision care benefits for those participants with medical benefits. To locate a VSP contracted provider, please visit VSP’s website at www.vsp.com.

Do I need a referral from my primary doctor to access Chiropractic and Acupuncture benefits?

No referral is required. The Trust Fund contracts with SimpleTherapy to administer the chiropractic and acupuncture benefit program for plan participants who have medical benefits. To locate a SimpleTherapy contracted chiropractic or acupuncture provider, please visit their website at www.lamtchiro.com/.

When is Open Enrollment?

The Trust Fund utilizes a Self-Directed open enrollment. Plan participants have the ability to change their medical and or dental provider at any time once every twelve (12) months (see Summary Plan Description Booklet). To change your medical and or dental providers, please contact the Plan Administrative Office for the appropriate forms.

I am on disability; how do I maintain my active benefits?

If you are disabled, the Trust Fund may continue to extend your benefits for up to three (3) months. You must complete the Proof of Disability form and submit it to the Plan Administrative Office. You may be entitled to additional months of coverage through your employer, please reference the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Please note if you are eligible FMLA, that benefit must be exhausted first before the Trust Fund will grant its disability benefit.

What happens if I stop working?

If you are laid-off or terminate employment, you will receive a COBRA notice regarding continuation of coverage once your group coverage ceases.

What are the Plan Administrative Office's hours of operation?

Monday thru Friday, 9:00am to 4:30pm (excluding holidays). To contact the Plan Administrative Office please call 1 (800) 924-1226.